The mission of the ISTSS Spirituality SIG is to:
- Provide a forum for discussion of issues related to the interaction
of trauma and spirituality. Discussion may take place at the annual
ISTSS conference, on the Spirituality listserv and Web site, and via
e-mail correspondence among SIG members.
- To identify and disseminate state-of-the-art research and clinical
strategies that address the relationship between trauma and spirituality
in the lives of trauma survivors and clinicians to the SIG membership
and the ISTSS society at large.
- Recognizing that spirituality is a primary domain of experience for
many people that has been historically under-researched, particularly in
the field of trauma, the SIG seeks to advocate for the inclusion of
spiritual variables in research designs and development of treatment
approaches which address these issues in projects advocated and
undertaken by SIG and ISTSS members in their various locations.
Short-Term SIG Goals
- Create an annotated bibliography of measures of Spirituality
relevant to the study of the relationship of Spirituality and Trauma ?
and disseminate that to our members, to other relevant SIGs (i.e.
Assessment, Trauma & Loss), and the ISTSS society at large.
- Identify salient research questions by creating a literature
discussion group and a Web-based listing of existing literature.
- Create a SIG web site with all the above info, links to relevant
funding agencies, and lists of resources.
Medium Term SIG Goals
- Provide a forum that ultimately leads to development and
implementation of multi-site funded studies in the area of Trauma &