Information Provided Voluntarily
Information Collected Automatically
- Member Contact Information: We will collect personal information that you provide to us, including, but not limited to, your name, employer’s name, job title, mailing address(es), e-mail address(es), telephone number(s), fax number, and photograph. Such information is necessary to facilitate your access to, use of, purchase of, or participation in our service and product offerings, including, but not limited to: membership; events, meetings, or conferences; educational programs; and online forums. Please note that you may decline to share your personal information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide you with certain services or products.
- Payment Information: If you choose to purchase a product or service, we and/or our third-party payment processors will collect your payment information, including, but not limited to, your credit or debit card number, card verification value (CVV) number, and expiration date.
- Automated Information: Your web browser or mobile device automatically provides information when you visit the Site, including, but not limited to, your Internet Protocol (IP) address or unique device identifier.
- Cookies: Cookies are pieces of stored information on a user’s computer or device that are tied to information about the user and used to provide smoother navigation throughout the Site, such as to store a saved password; to identify user trends, such as page views; and for other internal purposes, such as to assess the effectiveness of the Site. You have the option of setting your computer to disable cookies or to alert you when cookies are being used. If you choose to disable cookies, please be aware that portions of the Site may not function properly.
- Log Files: Log files store information such as a user’s IP address, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks. Like most websites, the Site uses log files to analyze trends, administer the Site, and track users’ movement on the Site.
The Site and our services and products are not directed toward children under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect information from children. If we become aware that a child has provided us with information without parental consent, that information will be deleted from our records.
ISTSS uses the information that we collect to provide our services and products and to operate our business. We may use and store such information for legitimate and lawful business purposes, for example, in order to:
- provide a service or product you requested;
- secure your membership status;
- fulfill your membership benefits;
- analyze and evaluate member and prospective member needs and interests, and improve the member and prospective member experience;
- notify you of ISTSS official business, news, activities, programs, events, meetings, conferences, services, products, and benefits;
- send occasional email communications on behalf of vendors;
- track event, meeting, and conference attendance;
- track education related activities;
- prepare invoices and process payments;
- respond to communications and inquiries that you send to us;
- respond to a notice of alleged copyright infringement;
- promote the safety and security of our services; and
- for other legitimate and lawful business purposes.
For individuals located in the European Economic Area, we rely on multiple legal bases to collect, use, share, or otherwise process your personal data, including that:
- you have given consent, which you may withdraw at any time;
- it is necessary for us to perform a contract with you;
- it is necessary for us to comply with legal obligations;
- it is necessary for our or a third party’s legitimate interests;
- it is necessary for us to perform a task in the public interest or for our official functions; and/or
- it is necessary to protect someone’s life.
To the extent we rely on our legitimate interests as a legal basis to collect, use, share, or otherwise process your personal data, those interests include: providing a product or service you requested; securing your membership status; fulfilling your membership benefits; analyzing and evaluating member and prospective member needs and interests, and improving the member and prospective member experience; notifying you of ISTSS official business, news, activities, programs, events, meetings, conferences, services, products, and benefits; tracking event, meeting, and conference attendance; tracking education related activities; preparing invoices and process payments; responding to communications and inquiries that you send to us; and promoting the safety and security of our services.
Personal information may be given to a third party in order to complete a specific business transaction on behalf of ISTSS. Such transactions may include the following:
Access to and Control of Information
- Your name and contact information, as provided to ISTSS, may be shared with ISTSS members to provide a service, satisfy a question, or develop a prospective business relationship. We are not responsible for members’ use or misuse of your personal information.
- Your name and contact information, as provided to ISTSS, may appear on registration or attendee lists distributed at ISTSS programs, events, meetings, and conferences to other attendees, including members, and other third parties, including, but not limited to, exhibitors or sponsors. We are not responsible for use or misuse of your personal information by exhibitors, sponsors, or the like.
- We may share your personal information with third-parties that provide services to ISTSS including, but not limited to, administration/operation support; membership information management; marketing, promotions, surveys, quizzes, assessments, and communications; program, event, meeting, or conference enrollment, registration, planning, hosting, or management; journal subscription or submission management; job board/career center platforms; election voting programs; website hosting; database management; payment card processing; or other data processing.
- We also may disclose personal information if we become subject to a subpoena, court order, or law enforcement or other government agency inquiry or investigation or if we are otherwise legally required to disclose such information. We also may use and disclose information about you to establish or exercise our legal rights, to enforce the Terms and Conditions of Use Agreement, to assert and defend against legal claims, or if we believe such disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding actual or suspected illegal or fraudulent activities or potential threats to the physical safety or well-being of any person.
- If all or part of ISTSS is merged into or otherwise transferred to another entity, we may transfer the personal information you provided to us to such entity as part of that transaction.
ISTSS takes your privacy and the protection of your personal information seriously, and we will provide you with reasonable access to and control of the personal information that you have provided to us. You may request to update your personal information or to opt in to or opt out of any service offerings at any time.
For individuals located in the European Economic Area, you may have additional rights concerning your personal data, such as to access, obtain a copy of, correct, or delete that information or to withdraw your consent or object to the collection, use, sharing, or other processing of that information.
To make any request with respect to your personal information, please contact ISTSS as set forth below in the “ISTSS Contact Information” section.
We employ reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural security measures to safeguard your personal information and to help protect against unauthorized access and disclosure. Online registration information, such as payment card information, will be secured using a commercially accepted method of encryption. However, please be aware that no method of electronic transmission is completely infallible, and we cannot guarantee its absolute safety. We encourage you to use reasonable care in how you handle and disclose your personal information, user name(s), and password(s). If you become aware of any breach of Site security, please contact us immediately.
If you are visiting the Site from outside the United States, please be aware that you are sending information, including personal data, to the United States where our servers are located. That information may then be transferred within the United States or to other countries outside the United States other than your country of residence. Countries other than your country of residence, including the United States, may have data privacy and protection laws that differ from, and potentially provide less protection than, the applicable laws in your country of residence.
There are external links to other websites throughout the Site. Please note that ISTSS is not responsible for the privacy policies of those other websites and hereby disclaims any liability or responsibility in connection with such linked websites.
ISTSS Contact Information
If you have questions, please contact us at:
International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
One Parkview Plaza, Suite 800
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181 USA
Phone: (847) 686-2234
Fax: (847) 686-2251
Effective Date: May 25, 2018